Sunday, April 3, 2011

Marty (1955)

image 
April 3, 2011

48. Marty (1955)

Starring Ernest Borgnine, Betsy Blair, Esther Minciotti, Augusta Ciolli, Joe Mantell, Karen Steele, Jerry Paris

Directed by Delbert Mann

Plot: “A touching story about two lonely people who have almost resigned themselves to never being truly loved.” (from IMDb)

This film was okay. Some parts I didn't like (a few of Marty’s ‘friends’ are very degrading) but the story overall was kind of nice. The themes it explores—loneliness, aging, self-acceptance—are ones that most of us can relate to (I know I can!). It was sweet to see the genuine relationship blossom between the two awkward protagonists. Some subplots are left unresolved, but I suppose that just makes it more realistic. This wasn’t my favorite movie ever, though I did enjoy it. If for nothing else, Ernest Borgnine's touching portrayal makes it worth watching.

image 
I’m used to seeing Borgnine play tough guys, but this role definitely proved he had range.

image 
According to IMDb, many scenes were filmed on location in the Bronx.

image 
Borgnine won a Best Actor Oscar for his role in this film.

image
Betsy Blair, who plays Clara, was Gene Kelly’s first wife.

image 
Marty and his mother (played by Esther Minciotti)

P.S. I just have to mention that I thought the whole thing with Mickey Spillane was hilarious—and so perfectly acted. I tried to find a YouTube clip but to no avail.

5 comments:

  1. I love this movie. though I have to admit his "Friends" seem to play as if they should have been younger. I loved E.B in this. and the part of the mom was spot on. The part where the brother mentions that his wife gets meat wrapped in celophane just cracked me up....I forgot that they all went to a butcher then. I know my mom did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is one of my favorite movies. I like how you put together this post with the screenshots and captions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice tribute to Marty!
    It's funny, every time I hear "Marty" I think of the movie "Quiz Show" and the hilarious controversy over Marty vs Marnie as the losing answer. Of course it was a great film and nobody who enjoys great films would mistake the two in an actual situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to watch this movie tonight...just got it from Net Flix on Saturday. I had watched Dear Heart last week (Glenn Ford/Geraldine Page), and Robert Osborne mentioned that it was sort of the flip of Marty, with the female being the middle-aged, missed-out-on-love character. So, I decided I needed to see that one too. Also, it's one of the few Best Picture winners I haven't seen yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just about fell on the floor during the scene where Marty's mother is complaining to her friend about how he's going to get married and leave her all alone: "Here I am, an old woman of 52..." WHAAAAAA? Is that really what 52-year-old women looked like in the 1950s? Ho. Ly. Cow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...