Sunday, June 12, 2011

Happy Birthday, Priscilla Lane!

sds-tile

Though Priscilla Lane is probably most know today for her role in Arsenic and Old Lace (1944), she also worked with the likes of Alfred Hitchcock [Saboteur (1942)], James Cagney [The Roaring Twenties (1939)], Busby Berkley [Men Are Such Fools (1938)], John Garfield [in  his breakthrough role in Four Daughters (1938) and in Dust Be My Destiny (1939)], and Humphrey Bogart [in the aforementioned films Men Are Such Fools (1938), and The Roaring Twenties (1939)].

tumblr_llcyrbadMk1qbex4ko1_500

With Frank Capra and Cary Grant on the set of Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

priscilla and cary 

More from Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

tumblr_llazgkgwsS1qhkntfo1_500 

600full-priscilla-lane (5)-tile 

She had two other sisters (not pictured) who were screen actresses—Lola and Rosemary (who she costarred with in several movies)—and one, Leota, (also not pictured) who was a stage actress.

priscilla lane-tile 

Possessing a wholesome charm, girlish beauty, and expressive eyes, Priscilla can sometimes fade into the background. But in the roles of hers that I have seen, I find her to be a capable actress and a delightful screen presence.

lklkl-tile

7 comments:

  1. Awesome photos! I was actually watching Arsenic and Old Lace today, too! :-D

    BTW, you have won my Bob Hope giveaway (http://classicforever.blogspot.com/2011/06/winner-of-bob-hope-dvd-giveaway.html) and it would be awesome if you could email me your mailing info! :-)
     

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, yeah. I kind of went overboard on the pictures. ;)

    Wow! I can't believe that I won. I never win anything! But I'm super excited. I'll email you. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this! I looooove Priscilla Lane-her hair, her acting, her style, how pretty she is, even her name! lol
    I do think she is overlooked alot, which is a shame. She is a really good actress, especially in "Dust Be My Destiny" with John Garfield.
    I almost thought she was wasted in "Arsenic in Old Lace" because she didn't get a whole lot of screen time, like it would have almost been better to have Anita Louise or Virginia Grey, actresses who aren't as big of names, as the love interest. But it was delightful to get to see her anyhow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jessica! I really like her, too. I felt like I needed to post something because so few people appreciate her. :) Maybe I will start an underrated actor series or something...hmm. 

    I have yet to see "Dust Be My Destiny", but on your recommendation I'm going to seek it out. I also agree with you about "Arsenic and Old Lace". Her talent is a bit wasted in that role, though I love her with Cary, but I think it is one of her films that most people have at least heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tribute! :) 
    I had the honor of working for Ms Lane (Howard), taking care of the grounds at her lake house in NH  from '77 - 80. What a wonderful woman she was, I new she had been a star but I never realized just how well-known she was...  I do know when my grandfather visited us at the campsite and Priscilla walked up to the site... he got all giddy and beside himself, was awesome to watch his reaction when she gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek! :)

    I could probably go on & on, but just wanted to say you did a great job piecing all this together! Have you any links to any of her songs she and her sisters sang?

    Cheers,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool that you knew her, Dana! I looked for a clip of the Lane
    sisters singing but I couldn't find any. I think they do sing in some of
    their earlier movies but I couldn't find anything to link to. If I remember
    correctly, there is a bit of singing in *Four Daughters* (which was just
    released on DVD by Warner Archive). Priscilla also does some singing in *The
    Roaring Twenties *(and probably some other movies). There are some clips on
    YouTube of that. Sorry that I don't have more concrete info! I'm still
    working my way through her filmography. Thanks again for commenting and
    sharing your remembrance of Priscilla. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...