Sunday, January 23, 2011

Short Review: The Good Fairy (1935)

Jan. 23, 2011<br />21. The Good Fairy (1935)<br />Starring Margaret Sullavan, Herbert Marshall, Frank Morgan, Reginald Owen, Eric Blore, Beulah Bondi, Alan Hale, Cesar Romero<br />Screenplay by Preston SturgesBased on the play by Ferenc Molnar<br />Directed by William Wyler<br />Plot: &#8220;A naive girl just out of a cloistered orphanage finds that being a &#8216;good fairy&#8217; to strangers makes life awfully complicated.&#8221; (from IMDb)<br />With a screenplay by Preston Sturges, direction by William Wyler, and fairly high IMDb ratings, I was expecting to like this. However, it bored me to tears. I was counting the minutes until it would end. In fact, I&#8217;m typing this as I watch it. Most of the acting feels hammy and detached. It&#8217;s basically  just a lot of yelling and drawn-out gags that really aren&#8217;t that funny. There&#8217;s also a love story, deception… and did I mention people yelling? Maybe I&#8217;m just not in the mood. I don&#8217;t know.  <br />P.S. Sorry about the bad photo&#8212;it&#8217;s the best I could find. :(

Jan. 23, 2011

21. The Good Fairy (1935)

Starring Margaret Sullavan, Herbert Marshall, Frank Morgan, Reginald Owen, Eric Blore, Beulah Bondi, Alan Hale, Cesar Romero

Screenplay by Preston Sturges
Based on the play by Ferenc Molnar

Directed by William Wyler

Plot: A naive girl just out of a cloistered orphanage finds that being a ‘good fairy’ to strangers makes life awfully complicated.” (from IMDb)

With a screenplay by Preston Sturges, direction by William Wyler, and fairly high IMDb ratings, I was expecting to like this. However, it bored me to tears. I was counting the minutes until it would end. In fact, I’m typing this as I watch it. Most of the acting feels hammy and detached. It’s basically just a lot of yelling and drawn-out gags that really aren’t that funny. There’s also a love story, deception… and did I mention people yelling? Maybe I’m just not in the mood. I don’t know.

P.S. Sorry about the bad photo—it’s the best I could find. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...