Sunday, January 16, 2011

Short Review: Miss Austen Regrets (2008)

Jan. 16, 2011<br /><br />16. Miss Austen Regrets (2008)<br />TV movie<br /><br />Starring Samuel Roukin, Olivia Williams, Greta Scacchi, Imogen Poots, Hugh Bonneville<br /><br />Directed by Jeremy Lovering<br /><br />Plot: &#8220;In the later years of her life, as she&#8217;s approaching the age of forty, the novelist Jane Austen helps her niece find a husband.&#8221; (from IMDb)<br /><br />I don&#8217;t know much about Jane Austen&#8217;s life, but I didn&#8217;t like the character in this film that was supposed to be her. She came across to me as an embittered, shrewish, immature, money-obsessed old maid. I accept that this film is basically a work of fiction, but I just didn&#8217;t understand her character. The film did have an interesting &#8216;feel&#8217; to it and I think we can all relate to some of the uncertainties, regrets, etc. that the characters discuss. Yet it just couldn&#8217;t make up for my lack of investment in what meager story there was. This movie is relatively short and a good enough diversion, but it just never really seemed to get anywhere.

Jan. 16, 2011

16. Miss Austen Regrets (2008)
TV movie

Starring Samuel Roukin, Olivia Williams, Greta Scacchi, Imogen Poots, Hugh Bonneville

Directed by Jeremy Lovering

Plot: “In the later years of her life, as she’s approaching the age of forty, the novelist Jane Austen helps her niece find a husband.” (from IMDb)

I don’t know much about Jane Austen’s life, but I didn’t like the character in this film that was supposed to be her. She came across to me as an embittered, shrewish, immature, money-obsessed old maid. I accept that this film is basically a work of fiction, but I just didn’t understand her character. The film did have an interesting ‘feel’ to it and I think we can all relate to some of the uncertainties, regrets, etc. that the characters discuss. Yet it just couldn’t make up for my lack of investment in what meager story there was. This movie is relatively short and a good enough diversion, but it just never really seemed to get anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...