Friday, May 13, 2011

It Should Happen to You (1954)

May 11, 2011<br />51. It Should Happen to You (1954)<br />Starring Judy Holliday, Peter Lawford, Jack LemmonDirected by George Cukor<br />Plot: Newly unemployed Gladys Glover has a chance meeting with a documentary film-maker Pete Sheppard that results in having her name plastered all over New York. (um, okay, we already know that I&#8217;m really bad at summaries…)<br />The story is really fun and cute. It&#8217;s the kind of movie that just puts a smile on your voice. I honestly think that Jack Lemmon is my favorite part, though. He is just too darn cute! And he has some great scenes.  I&#8217;m trying really hard to like Judy Holliday. I mean, it&#8217;s obvious the woman is a brilliant actress and comedienne. But I can&#8217;t seem to get past her screechy voice. But like I said, I&#8217;m trying. As for Peter Lawford, usually I like him but his character really has nothing going for him here. That&#8217;s okay, though, because *POSSIBLE SPOILER* Jack and Judy make an adorable couple. :)<br />This movie also has an interesting message about fame. *SPOILER ALERT* As Gladys Glover comes to realize:&#8220;It isn&#8217;t just making a name. It&#8217;s making a name stand for something.&#8221; It&#8217;s a clever story and surprisingly prophetic. In the age of the Internet and reality TV, there are so many people today who are obsessed with self-promotion or are merely famous for being famous.<br />Over all, if you haven&#8217;t seen this one yet, I would definitely check it out. It&#8217;s a light, fun, well-paced film featuring great comedic performances from the two leads. 
May 11, 2011

51. It Should Happen to You (1954)

Starring Judy Holliday, Peter Lawford, Jack Lemmon
Directed by George Cukor

Plot: Newly unemployed Gladys Glover has a chance meeting with a documentary film-maker Pete Sheppard that results in having her name plastered all over New York. (um, okay, we already know that I’m really bad at summaries…)

This story is really fun. It’s the kind of movie that just puts a smile on your face. I honestly think that Jack Lemmon is my favorite part, though. He is just too darn cute! And he has some great scenes. I’m trying really hard to like Judy Holliday. I mean, it’s obvious the woman is a brilliant actress and comedienne. But I can’t seem to get past her screechy voice. But like I said, I’m trying. As for Peter Lawford, usually I like him but his character really has nothing going for him here. That’s okay, though, because *POSSIBLE SPOILER* Jack and Judy make an adorable couple. :)

This movie also has an interesting message about fame. *SPOILER ALERT* As Gladys Glover comes to realize:“It isn’t just making a name. It’s making a name stand for something.” It’s a clever story and surprisingly prophetic. In the age of the Internet and reality TV, there are so many people today who are obsessed with self-promotion or are merely famous for being famous.

Over all, if you haven’t seen this one yet, I would definitely check it out. It’s a light, fun, well-paced film featuring great comedic performances from the two leads. 

Jack Lemmon and Judy Holliday in It Should Happen to You (1954)

QUOTE:

Gladys Glover (Judy Holliday): "I always think I can think better with my shoes off. Did you ever notice that?"

Pete Sheppard (Jack Lemmon): "On or off, I have trouble."

image

7 comments:

  1. Love that film! Actually I LOVE Judy Holliday! (and her voice ;"p)

    Have a great week-end! ;")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this movie!!   And I totally love Judy Holliday.  She is one of my top 10 favorite actresses.  I do understand what you mean about the voice, though.  When I saw Born Yesterday for the first time, it was my first exposure to Judy.  I cringed when she began speaking.  That harsh New York accent made me want to scream!!  But I've come to totally adore her...AND her accent.  It's part of what makes her so loveable. 

    By the way, I think this was Jack Lemmon's first firm. 

    ReplyDelete
  3.  Oh I have been wanting to see this for AGES! Huge Jack Lemmon fan. He is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's on YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F83_wRFeBR4&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F83_wRFeBR4&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I thought "Mister Roberts" was his first, but you're right--this was his first credited screen role. 

    ReplyDelete
  6.  Oh, I just love this movie! It has two of my favorites, Jack Lemmon and Judy Holliday... I'm glad you were a guest on Monty's blog because now I've discovered your blog with the best name ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Desiree. I'm still not sure if I like the name but it's the best I could come up with until I think of something better. ;) Nice to meet you, by the way! 

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...