Sunday, May 8, 2011

Summer Magic (1963)

May 3, 2011<br /><br />49. Summer Magic (1963)<br /><br />Starring Hayley Mills, Burl Ives, Dorothy McGuire, Deborah Walley, Una Merkel<br /><br />Directed by James Neilson<br /><br />Plot: &#8220;A Bostonian widow moves with her kids to the country.&#8221; (from IMDb)<br /><br />This is a mediocre family film from the golden age of Disney live-action pictures. It&#8217;s definitely not as good as some of Hayley&#8217;s other movies, though. I found the songs and nature shots to be a little annoying, but I imagine that it would appeal more to kids. This wasn&#8217;t my favorite, but it&#8217;s not a bad film. It just seems to lack a certain &#8216;something&#8217;. 
May 3, 2011

49. Summer Magic (1963)

Starring Hayley Mills, Burl Ives, Dorothy McGuire, Deborah Walley, Una Merkel
Directed by James Neilson

Plot: “A Bostonian widow moves with her kids to the country.” (from IMDb)

This is a mediocre family film from the golden age of Disney live-action pictures. It’s definitely not as good as some of Hayley’s other movies. I found the songs and nature shots to be a little annoying, but I imagine that it would appeal more to kids. This wasn’t my favorite, but it’s not a bad film. It just seems to lack a certain ‘something’. 

If you’d like to read more about this film, I found this helpful in-depth review here.

_____

Oh, I also wanted to mention that while I was recovering from my wisdom teeth operation, my dad was watching All Quiet On the Western Front. I had heard lots about it but never actually seen it (neither had he). Well, I can’t really say I watched the whole thing (I was dozing in and out for most of it) but I think I got the gist of story. I did catch the last 15-20 minutes or so, and that alone was really powerful. I was just amazed at the impact of the ending. It’s really a cinematic masterpiece. I don’t want to spoil it for you if you haven’t seen it, but those closing scenes are incredibly moving. I also liked the impact of no music—just “THE END”. I’m not sure if that was intentional, but it said a lot more than a rousing finale would have. Okay, I just had to ramble a bit about that. Maybe someday I’ll have the patience to sit through the entire film (war movies usually aren’t my thing, but this one might be an exception).

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of Summer Magic at all, and I love Hayley so much too! But, I do like the last 15 minutes or so. Around the time Peter Brown shows up! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I love Hayley but thought this film was pretty bland. My brother and I did find the last bit the most amusing part of the movie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...