Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Send Me No Flowers (1964)

image
July 31, 2011

66. Send Me No Flowers (1964)
 
Starring Rock Hudson, Doris Day, Tony Randall, Paul Lynde, Hal March
Directed by Norman Jewison

Plot: "A hypochondriac thinks he's dying this time, and makes plans for his wife which she discovers and misunderstands." (from IMDb)

Yes, another movie by Norman Jewison starring Doris Day. I liked this one a whole lot better, though. Doris and Rock are so great together (major understatement) and I like the fact that they are already married because it mixes up the usual plot of their previous two movies (Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back). Plus, somehow it feels fresher for this film to take place in suburbia instead of the city like the previous two.

image

I'm kind of a hypochondriac myself (though not really in the way Rock's character is) so I thought that part of the story was very humorous.

image

This movie is really funny! I always find Tony Randall to be so hilarious, and he has some great lines in this film. I never realized just how good Hudson is at comedy. I can't help comparing him to James Garner since I just watched The Thrill of It All, and with all due respect to Mr. Garner, Rock really knows how to make this kind of film work.

image
Paul Lynde also makes an appearance as a man who sells grave plots...and perhaps enjoys his work a little too much.

I was really enjoying this film until 'it' happened. You know, that almost inevitable factor of so many romantic comedies, when due to some misunderstanding or confused motive the couple becomes furious at one another and break-up. They then proceed to go through all kinds of hoops and levels of anger and revenge before ultimately getting back together before the credits roll. No matter how big the accusation or problem was, all is forgiven and everyone is happy. Maybe it's just that I don't like confrontation, but I find this plot device to be really tiresome. Especially when it's in SO many movies. Can't there be another cause of friction other than the relationship? It's just so predictable. I wish they could've done something fresher with the second half of the film.



Criticism aside, I still did really enjoy this and would watch it again in an instant. It's the kind of movie that is just wonderful escapism—an instant pick-me-up. If you love Doris and Rock in their previous pairings, don't skip this one!

 image

7 comments:

  1. Rock Hudson, is always wonderful performing in situation comedies. Paul Lynde, is just as wonderful as his faithful friend. And Doris Day, makes the most of her comedic role. This film is a very pleasant way to spend a hot summer afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree, Dawn! Thanks for the comment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just wanted to let you know that I am also passing along to you the "Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award". :) The rules are on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops! Sorry! Yes, here you go: http://theswingmood.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-blog-is-irrestistibly-sweet.html

    So sorry about that. And by the way, I am also giving you another blog award. Here's the link to that post: http://theswingmood.blogspot.com/2011/08/liebster-blog-award-favorite.html

    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great movie! I like that you gave Tony Randall a shout out - it seems everyone forgets he was in all three movies with Rock and Doris. They made a great team :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...