Thursday, February 3, 2011

New Poll: What era of Cary Grant do you prefer?

In my last review, I mentioned that I prefer the earlier Cary Grant to his later roles. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll watch just about any Cary Grant movie—’30s, ‘40s, ‘50s, or ‘60s—and I do enjoy a lot of the older ones. But the reason I prefer him in his earlier films is because he seemed to loosen up more. He was more fun and crazy, not afraid to do handstands or play a persona outside his Cary Grant ‘image’. In some of his later roles he sometimes comes across (to me) as bored, indifferent and distant.

Anyway, this got me to thinking about a discussion that Millie and Kate had a while back (click on their respective names to see those posts) whether the ‘30s/’40s Cary or the ‘50s/’60s Cary was better. I decided to put up a poll and see what YOU think.

Here is a partial filmography to get a better idea of what films were made in which decade. (I put an asterisk next to and bolded the ones I’ve seen so you know where my bias is coming from :) ).

In the 1930s and 1940s these are some of the films he made:

Blonde Venus
She Done Him Wrong
Thirty Day Princess
Wings in the Dark
Sylvia Scarlett
*Topper
*The Awful Truth
*Bringing up Baby
*Holiday
Gunga Din
*Only Angels Have Wings
In Name Only
*His Girl Friday
*My Favorite Wife
*The Philadelphia Story
*Penny Serenade
*Suspicion
*The Talk of the Town
*Once Upon a Honeymoon
Destination Tokyo
*Arsenic and Old Lace
None But the Lonely Heart
Night and Day
*Notorious
*The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer
*The Bishop's Wife
*Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
Every Girl Should Be Married
*I Was a Male War Bride

In the 1950s and 1960s these are some of the films he made:

Crisis
*People Will Talk
Room for One More
Monkey Business
Dream Wife
*To Catch a Thief
*An Affair to Remember
Kiss Them for Me
Indiscreet
Houseboat
*North by Northwest
Operation Petticoat
*The Grass Is Greener
That Touch of Mink
*Charade
Father Goose
Walk, Don't Run

What do you think? Vote in the poll on the side bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...