Friday, February 4, 2011

Short Review: Tom, Dick and Harry (1941)

Feb. 4, 2011<br />29. Tom, Dick, and Harry (1941)<br />Starring Ginger Rogers, George Murphy, Alan Marshal, Burgess Meredith<br />Directed by Garson Kanin<br />Plot: &#8220;Working girl Janie is proposed to by a conservative car salesman, a bohemian auto mechanic, and a millionaire playboy and must make a choice.&#8221; (from IMDb)<br />I like Ginger Rogers. I really do. She was wonderful in Stage Door, The Major and the Minor, Primrose Path, Vivacious Lady, the musicals with Fred, etc. It&#8217;s just that the last few movies I&#8217;ve watched of hers have not been my favorite. Sooo, prepare yourself for another dud review. First of all, she just acts really stupid in this. (I guess there&#8217;s not a nice way to say that.) It&#8217;s like her character has the intelligence of a four-year-old (if even). It&#8217;s not even genuine&#8212;it sounds exactly like a 29-year-old woman talking in baby-talk (which it is). I can imagine an actress like Jean Arthur or Betty Hutton (think her character in The Miracle of Morgan&#8217;s Creek) doing a much better job with this role. Ginger herself could&#8217;ve done better if she would&#8217;ve played it differently. But that&#8217;s just my opinion. Though really, a better lead would not have saved the film. The plot itself is pretty thin and there are some bizarre &#8216;dream&#8217; sequences that are at best crazy and at worst downright creepy (especially with the little &#8216;babies&#8217; *shudder*). Also, all three of the male leads are pretty much unlikable. I found myself not really caring much about them. I will give the movie credit in that it kept one guessing up until the very end who she would ultimately pick to marry. I really had no idea! But even when she did pick The One, I just didn&#8217;t feel satisfied in the conclusion. One has the feeling that the marriage would not go so well and Janie would come crawling back home looking for her pacifier pretty soon. What I think she should do is tell all the men &#8216;no&#8217; and grow up a little, maybe go to college or travel. But of course that didn&#8217;t happen. Maybe I&#8217;m being unnecessarily cruel here. I hope not. It&#8217;s just that I didn&#8217;t care for this film (if you can&#8217;t tell). There was not one character that I can think of that I actually liked (even her family was strange&#8212;especially her sister, Butch. I&#8217;m not even joking; that was here name.) Ginger did wear a pretty dress and wrap, though, when she went to Chicago…I guess that counts for something? Honestly, that&#8217;s the best I can do for positives. Let me know if I&#8217;m missing something here! 
Feb. 4, 2011

29. Tom, Dick and Harry (1941)

Starring Ginger Rogers, George Murphy, Alan Marshal, Burgess Meredith

Directed by Garson Kanin

Plot:Working girl Janie is proposed to by a conservative car salesman, a bohemian auto mechanic, and a millionaire playboy and must make a choice.(from IMDb)

I like Ginger Rogers. I really do. She was wonderful in Stage Door, The Major and the Minor, Primrose Path, Vivacious Lady, the musicals with Fred, etc. It’s just that the last few movies I’ve watched of hers have not been my favorite. Sooo, prepare yourself for another dud review. First of all, she just acts really stupid in this. (I guess there’s not a nice way to say that.) It’s like her character has the intelligence of a four-year-old (if even). It’s not even genuine—it sounds exactly like a 29-year-old woman talking in baby-talk (which it is). I can imagine an actress like Jean Arthur or Betty Hutton (think her character in The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek) doing a much better job with this role. Ginger herself could’ve done better if she would’ve played it differently. But that’s just my opinion. Though really, a better lead would not have saved the film. The plot itself is pretty thin and there are some bizarre ‘dream’ sequences that are at best crazy and at worst downright creepy (especially with the little ‘babies’ *shudder*). Also, all three of the male leads are pretty much unlikable. I found myself not really caring much about them. I will give the movie credit in that it kept one guessing up until the very end who she would ultimately pick to marry. I really had no idea! But even when she did pick The One, I just didn’t feel satisfied in the conclusion. One has the feeling that the marriage would not go so well and Janie would come crawling back home looking for her pacifier pretty soon. What I think she should do is tell all the men ‘no’ and grow up a little, maybe go to college or travel. But of course that didn’t happen. Maybe I’m being unnecessarily cruel here. I hope not. It’s just that I didn’t care for this film (if you can’t tell). There was not one character that I can think of that I actually liked (even her family was strange—especially her sister, Butch. I’m not even joking; that was here name.) Ginger did wear a pretty dress and wrap, though, when she went to Chicago…I guess that counts for something? Honestly, that’s the best I can do for positives. Let me know if I’m missing something here!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting review, I have to see this too.
    I have to admit though, I haven't really warmed up to Ginger Rogers yet. I have seen quite a few of her movies but still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how I feel about this movie, except for the fact that I liked Butch.

    Here's how I think Tom, Dick and Harry could have been better:

    I. The leading men should have been more likable (Burgess Meredith's character doesn't need quite as much help as the other two, but he's far from perfect). Honestly, Janie's dilemma doesn't make much sense.
    II. The dream sequences should have taken out entirely. I always have to zip through those if I'm going to enjoy the movie, otherwise I get completely creeped out!
    III. And finally, the movie would be so much better if Ginger's character wasn't quite so dumb.

    This is a movie I can enjoy only when I'm in the mood for some completely mindless entertainment. You really need to be in the right mood for this one.

    Nice review, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...