Thursday, February 10, 2011

Short Review: Bunny Lake is Missing (1965)

Feb. 10, 2011<br />35. Bunny Lake is Missing (1965)<br />Starring Laurence Olivier, Carol Lynley, Keir Dullea<br />Produced &amp; Directed by Otto Preminger<br />Plot: &#8220;A woman reports that her young daughter is missing, but there seems to be no evidence that she ever existed.&#8221;<br />I didn&#8217;t really care for this one. Besides the multitude of plot holes, it seemed very drawn-out, and I never really got into the story. I understand that the tedious pacing could&#8217;ve been done in an effort to build the suspense, but to me it just came off as unskillful editing/writing. ***SPOILERS*** I never once doubted that Bunny Lake was real, so that may have been why I found myself a little bored. There are also some just plain weird sequences&#8212;like Noel Coward&#8217;s performance&#8212;that seem to be put in solely as red herrings. As for acting, Olivier seems rather wasted in a dry part; I think they could&#8217;ve done more with his talent&#8212;especially in the awkward conclusion. Dullea was adequate, at best, but Lynley seemed a little wooden in her line delivery. Over all, this isn&#8217;t a movie that I liked (in case you can&#8217;t tell. Lol)<br />P.S. Funny story: I really hate horror movies, so I made sure beforehand that  this wasn&#8217;t one. It&#8217;s not (in case you&#8217;re interested, I would classify it as more of a mystery/suspense with an eery atmosphere) however when I saw &#8220;Zombies&#8221;  in the opening credits it caught me off guard. I quickly Googled it and found  out that the Zombies were just a band featured in the film. Doh!<br />P.P.S. Keep in mind that I really don&#8217;t even know what I&#8217;m talking about when I critique &#8216;editing&#8217; and &#8216;line delivery&#8217;. :P

Feb. 10, 2011

35. Bunny Lake is Missing (1965)

Starring Laurence Olivier, Carol Lynley, Keir Dullea

Produced & Directed by Otto Preminger

Plot: A woman reports that her young daughter is missing, but there seems to be no evidence that she ever existed.”

I didn’t really care for this one. Besides the multitude of plot holes, it seemed very drawn-out, and I never really got into the story. I understand that the tedious pacing could’ve been done in an effort to build the suspense, but to me it just came off as unskillful editing/writing. ***SPOILERS*** I never once doubted that Bunny Lake was real, so that may have been why I found myself a little bored. There are also some just plain weird sequences—like Noel Coward’s performance—that seem to be put in solely as red herrings. As for acting, Olivier seems rather wasted in a dry part; I think they could’ve done more with his talent—especially in the awkward conclusion. Dullea was adequate, at best, but Lynley seemed a little wooden in her line delivery. Over all, this isn’t a movie that I liked (in case you can’t tell. Lol)

P.S. Funny story: I really hate horror movies, so I made sure beforehand that this wasn’t one. It’s not (in case you’re interested, I would classify it as more of a mystery/suspense with an eerie atmosphere) however when I saw “Zombies” in the opening credits it caught me off guard. I quickly Googled it and found out that the Zombies were just a band featured in the film. Doh!

P.P.S. Keep in mind that I really don’t even know what I’m talking about when I critique ‘editing’ and ‘line delivery’. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...