Sunday, July 24, 2011

College (1927)


July 15-16, 2011

63. College (1927)

Starring Buster Keaton, Anne Cornwall, Harold Goodwin
Directed by James W. Horne

Plot: "To reconcile with his girlfriend, a bookish college student tries to become an athlete." (from IMDb)

I'd only seen ONE silent movie prior to this (Chaplin's City Lights) and this was my first Buster Keaton film. It was amusing enough, I guess, but I can't say that I really loved it. While there are some funny parts, it wasn’t one I would be dying to see again.


I read a few online reviews of this and most seemed to agree that it was a mediocre, though not entirely awful, effort—kind of Keaton on auto-pilot. So maybe I should give some of his more popular films a chance.


There is also a bit of blackface (pictured above) in this that is uncomfortable to watch.


I wasn't crazy about the musical accompaniment on the DVD I watched; at times I felt like it detracted from the picture.

I thought the very end was rather odd. I think it was meant to be humorous…? Or perhaps it was making a social statement. I'm not sure.

2 comments:

  1. The only silents I own are some of Garbo's and I have never given the chance... maybe I should. I was intrigued to watch them after seeing the 7 hour special Moguls & Movie Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I still want to see that documentary! Was it good?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...