Saturday, July 16, 2011

Happy Birthday to Ginger Rogers and Barbara Stanwyck!

 A top knot of multi-colored pastel flowers is perched atop Ginger Rogers' peaked black lace straw hat designed by Lily Dache. A wisp of veil covers the entire hat.

Today marks the anniversary of the births of two fabulous stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood—Ginger Rogers and Barbara Stanwyck.

tumblr_lixhs3Vddx1qepln6o1_500  Ginger cutting her birthday cake?

Ginger’s birthday this year is extra special because it would have been her 100th!

barbara

~ Barbara Stanwyck Quotes ~

“My only problem is finding a way to play my fortieth fallen female in a different way from my thirty-ninth.”

"I`m a tough old broad from Brooklyn. I intend to go on acting until I`m ninety and they won`t need to paste my face with make-up."

“Egotism - usually just a case of mistaken nonentity.”

“Career is too pompous a word. It was a job and I have always felt privileged to be paid for doing what I love doing.”

“Attention embarrasses me. I don't like to be on display.”

“I want to go on until they have to shoot me.”

ginger

~ Ginger Rogers Quotes ~

I`m most grateful to have had that joyous time in motion pictures. It really was a Golden Age of Hollywood. Pictures were talking, they were singing, they were coloring. It was beginning to blossom out: bud and blossom were both present.

"They're not going to get my money to see the junk that's made today." (1983)

"The only way to enjoy anything in this life is to earn it first."

(on being asked in 1943 what a girl needs to be a movie star) “Intelligence, adaptability and talent. And by talent I mean the capacity for hard work. Lots of girls come here with little but good looks. Beauty is a valuable asset, but it is not the whole cheese.”

“I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place. If I have any philosophy, that's it. To me it's not a fatalistic attitude.”

"When you're happy, you don't count the years."

“Perhaps I’m old-fashioned, but black and white films still hold an affectionate  place in my heart; they have an incomparable mystique and mood. Believe me, the technique and expertise for achieving these effects were almost more challenging than the splendor of color. Certainly the result was as powerful as an Ansel Adams photograph.”

"The most important thing in anyone's life is to be giving something. The quality I can give is fun, joy and happiness. This is my gift."

~

I hope you have time today to watch one of these lovely ladies’ films and appreciate their talent and legacy!

6 comments:

  1. I love Ginger! watching her dance is pure magic.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Ginger!! - really love her, she has always been an inspiration for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! :)

    Thanks for stopping by! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's one of my favorites as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I love Barbara... I just watched Sorry, Wrong Number the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I haven't seen that one yet. Did you like it? Barbara was so talented!


    Thank you for linking to your blog. I just checked it out and it looks great. I'm adding it to my Google Reader! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...