Friday, March 4, 2011

If a Man Answers (1962)

smile

Mar. 4, 2011

41. If a Man Answers (1962)

Starring Sandra Dee, Bobby Darin, Micheline Presle, John Lund, Cesar Romero, Stefanie Powers

Directed by Henry Levin

Plot: Rich socialite Sandra Dee meets and marries photographer Bobby Darin and attempts to ‘train’ him to be the perfect husband.” (from IMDb)

I thought this film was really cute. The plot is silly and outlandish, but it’s also original and entertaining. Although I would consider this in the Doris Day vein of comedy, Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin add a touch all their own to the genre. Sandra Dee, especially, was adorable in this role (she had a great wardrobe, too!). She has a very likable screen presence and a lot of comedic talent. I also loved the setting of this film—the sixties clothes, scenery, and décor is a treat in itself. I’m sure if someone really wanted to analyze this film they could find all kinds of problems with the messages presented. But I don’t think this genre wasn’t ever meant to be taken too literally. Personally, I just thought this film was a lot of fun! : )

sandra and bobby 
Chantal (Sandra Dee) and Eugene (Bobby Darin) when they first meet.

kitchen 
Chantal (such a pretty name!) offers to cook dinner for the won’t-be-pinned-down bachelor.

stef 
This film also features a young Stefanie Powers in a minor role. Maybe it was just me, but at times she and Sandra looked like they belonged more in middle school than as a newlywed and an a actress, respectively.

cats 

eating dinner 
I love the apartment!

shave 

mother daughter chat
Chantal’s mother (played by Micheline Presle) certainly had a lot of ‘interesting’ thoughts on marriage. Always amusing, though. :)

if a man answers

7 comments:

  1. I love this movie! It's a lot of silly fun and Sandra Dee is adorable. If you like this one, you'd probably also like Dee and Darin "That Funny Feeling" and "Come September."

    MC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby Darin, I use to have a crush on him! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's a really cute movie. I just got "That Funny Feeling" and am looking forward to watching it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love this movie! I'll admit, for awhile I thought the 'training your husband like a dog' was a pretty good idea. This is probably one of my favorite Sandra Dee movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, yes, it did kind of make sense. :) It's a really fun movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Gosh the Clothes are incredible! I have never seen this movie but I will try to look for it. Thanks! Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. The clothes (designed by Jean Louis) are great! I didn't even do them justice with these screenshots.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...