Saturday, March 12, 2011

That Funny Feeling (1965)

clip_image014

Mar. 11, 2011

44. That Funny Feeling (1965)

Starring Sandra Dee, Bobby Darin, Donald O'Connor

Directed by Richard Thorpe

Plot: "Joan Howell, a young and pretty maid-for-hire, meets and begins dating wealthy New York City businessman Tom Milford. Embarrassed about bringing him back to her tiny apartment that she shares with her roommate Audrey, Joan brings Tom over to a fancy apartment that she cleans on a daily basis not knowing that it's his place. Tom plays along with the charade despite not knowing who Joan really is, while she tries to tidy up Tom's place not knowing who he really is." (from IMDb. Whew! Long synopsis! )

The premise of this movie is pretty ridiculous, and it relies on the usual comedy shtick of mistakan identity. Yet somehow this film still comes across as amusing and enjoyable. There are a lot of little gags and scenarios that remind me of a Rock/Doris comedy (even more so than If a Man Answers). Bobby Darin's character gets a bigger role in this one, and he even has a Tony Randall-like sidekick (flawlessly and hilariously played by Donald O'Connor). There are also a scattering of many other familiar character actors that kept popping up as cab drivers, policemen, bartenders, roommates, etc. Again, one of the main things that I loved about this film was the stunning Jean Louis wardrobe worn by Sandra Dee. I think I want to own just about every single thing she wore in this movie! Of the two Darin/Dee films I've seen recently, I think I preferred If a Man Answers slightly more than this one. But they are both funny, escapist, feel-good films.

Here are a few screencaps to show off the great clothes I mentioned. As you can see, the DVD transfer was really great and the colors just pop of the screen.

clip_image001

clip_image004

clip_image006[1]

clip_image008

clip_image013

clip_image028

clip_image021

image

clip_image029

2 comments:

  1. LOVELY review! And I love the caps you took! I think I'm gonna have to steal the last one! ;-D

    *sigh* This movie is basically my life. My life and it are one. I can easily quote the entire movie by heart. I say random things like: "Mother and chiiiold" all the time.

    It's not even technically THAT brilliant of a film, but Bobby + Sandy is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to steal any screencaps you wish! I actually took a lot more but didn't want to do a photo overload.

    This was a really fun film! It is just one of those 'happy' movies--watching it instantly brightened my mood. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...