Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Young Victoria (2009)

the-young-victoria-14-4 
Mar. 27, 2011

46. The Young Victoria (2009)

Starring Emily Blunt, Rupert Friend, Paul Bettany, Miranda Richardson

Directed by Jean-Marc Vallée

Plot: "A dramatization of the turbulent first years of Queen Victoria's rule, and her enduring romance with Prince Albert." (from IMDb)

This was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. From the outset, the lively pace of the piece enticed me into the story. I found myself quite captivated by the visuals, music, emotions, and storytelling of the film. Often I watch a movie in the background, but this one garnered my full attention and kept me captivated throughout.

First of all, the casting was perfect. Blunt wonderfully conveyed the strong-willed yet vulnerable Victoria, and Friend was ideal as the kind gentleman who wins her heart.

Though some parts of the story seemed rushed, I rather liked the film's jaunty pace. I felt that in this case, as in poetry, superfluous words were unneeded to convey the heart of the story.

As for criticisms, I have few. ***SPOILER ALERT*** I do wonder why they included the false incident of Albert getting wounded, though. One would think such iconic royals had interesting enough lives without the aid of fictional embellishment. I also thought the gliding technique used at Victoria's first dance was a little jarring. But whatever my minor nit-pickings may be, none of these elements did anything to deter my wholehearted enjoyment of this film. It's one that I would love to watch over and over. Needless to say, I am hoping that unconfirmed rumors of a sequel are true!

tumblr_lgvprnehpa1qfhvpzo1_500tumblr_lhtak58oYP1qbgp58o1_1280

tumblr_lidxlhO6Qe1qi29d1o1_500 
This film won an Oscar for it’s costumes and its easy to see why—they are beautiful! I found this site that gives screen captures for each outfit. You may wish to check it out if you are an admirer of beautiful period clothes. I also found this other review when I was looking for photos. I thought the author did a great job of summarizing the beauty of this film.

050emilyblunt2_468x311 

If you can’t tell, I loved this film and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys period dramas…or is just in the mood for a touching love story.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this movie, I think it's great. I share the criticism (that "floating effect" was out of place, but made me remember when the main characters from "The umbrellas of Cherbourg" are walking at night and something very similar happens...) and yeah, why did they invented that Albert was wounded? I think that they couldn't find another attractive way to bring the characters together at the end, so they just made up a dramatic event.

    The thing I like the most is the proposal scene: it's so well acted, feels so natural and emotive...One of the best proposal scenes in the history of cinema :)

    Great review, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the proposal scene is great! :)

    I haven't seen "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg", but I've heard many good things about it so I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely rent this one for sure. I love period pieces. Thanks, Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you! This movie is amazing and Rupert is unique as Prince Albert. Great film and best actor!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish they would make a sequel.   This is one of the BEST movies of 2009!   Incredible scenery, incredible acting by all in the movie, and although not exactly as it happened back then, it's close, very close.  And it's enough to keep you entertained.    Any class studying the Victoria Era should have to view and maybe do a report on this movie.  I just didn't like the abrupt ending.   They could definitely do a sequel. 

    ReplyDelete
  7.  Yes, I wish they made more films like this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...